Lots of extension methods to contribute

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Several months ago I downloaded extension methods from many websites, and put them all into a single project, organized by category. This project now includes almost 350 extension methods.  I'll never find time to properly organize and test them.

Links to the source websites and original authors are provided in comments for most  of  these.  Rather than comment every method, I sometimes just put a comment above a group/region. In one case I just named a .cs file after the author and put his miscellaneous methods in there.

It doesn't look like any of the dnpextensions are in that collection.  Would you guys (Patrick and editors) like to adopt this collection and build upon it?  It needs better organization, perhaps better attribution to the original sources, comments, examples, etc.  If you like extension methods, this is a real gold mine. :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Hi Tony,

thanks for your proposal. I'm very open to that. Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your library or sources for review? My address is lorenz@pgk.de.

Thanks,

Patrick

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Hi Tony,

I would be interested in your extention method library.Would you mind sending me a copy Thanks a lot

dotnet@devnet247.com

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM

On June 22nd I emailed Patrick my collection. I don't think I've heard back from him yet, though I trust over time that the new collection will be merged into this project where appropriate.

Brix, I have emailed you my collection as well as all of the caveats which I have also provided to Patrick.

Hey Patrick, until you incorporate my extensions, here's a suggestion:  Please post my package as a download under this project, along with the note I sent you as a README.txt.  Add a note that the extra package is not an official part of this project, and may never be, and that you will not support that package. If you do incorporate parts of my package into your project, then people using both will need to work out the delta.  Ideally, you may get contributions from others to address issues in my package, and that may just help your own efforts.

In any case, publishing my package will save me some time from emailing the zip to individuals.

Just to be clear - I don't think I wrote any of the extension methods in the package that I passed to Patrick - I really don't remember.  At least 95% of them were generously posted to blogs and contributed as FOSS downloads by other developers.  As much as possible, credit to individuals is included in the code.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Tony, I reveiced the mail but did not had time yet to look at it. Thanks for it and sorry for not getting back to you ealier. I guess adding the assembly as a separate download might be worth it. I'll do so soon. Best, Patrick