Do you currently use this extension library in .NET 4.0 projects?

Developer
Dec 6, 2010 at 2:21 AM
Edited Dec 8, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Hello users,

Please add your comments/views/opinion/feedback/support on having extension library in .NET 4.0.

As you all know, .NET 4.0 has been around for about a years now. More and more developers are moving forward and making the used of .NET 4.0.

Aside from being able to use it new features:

.NET 4.0 also included a whole new set of extension methods that we currently have in our .NET extension library.

Dec 6, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I think code that includes 4.0-specific functionality should be in a separate DLL.  It's almost like a separate project.  People running .NET 4 can reference .NET 3.5 assemblies, or incorporate code that is in a .NET 3.5 project, but the reverse is not true.  For this library there is no reason to isolate users of .NET 3.5 or .NET 2.0 from functionality that they can use, because of functionality that they cannot.

Thanks for asking.

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Michael,

as you know, I basically agree to what Tony said.

I would be fine to add another project / assembly that supports 4.0 like the MVC project is already doing.

Cheers,

Patrick

Developer
Dec 7, 2010 at 5:47 AM

Thanks guys,

I was more asking the users of this Extension library.

Simply because i want to see how many users who's currently using .NET 4.0 in their project, before i start release a .NET 4.0 Extension library.

I should of make it clearer in my intention of this discussion. I wasn't implying on the upgrade of the current extension library.

Regards,

Michael

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Since I'm not a registered Developer on this project I was speaking as a user.  I agree that v4.0 has been out a while and that it's logical to start moving forward.  I also understand that two code sets are tougher to maintain.  But the Microsoft world moves a  little too quickly sometimes and I think a significant  percentage of developers are still using VS2008 rather than jumping on with the latest tools that Microsoft provides.  It's good for some developers to use the latest tools to their advantage, but not appropriate in this specific case for that to drive the rest of the user/developer base.  If this were a case of PHP 4 vs 5 I would have no problem. If it was classic ASP vs ASP.NET, no problem. But even ASP.NET MVC vs Web Forms, no, we're presented with an option there, it's not an "upgrade" per-se, so I don't agree with some projects that "move forward" from forms to MVC.  And in this case, I don't think moving toward a v4 library is really "forward" either, especially considering that most of the extensions in this library work just fine in v3.5.  But I think v4 developers would appreciate extensions which only apply to the new libraries which they are now using.  That is a good progressive move.

That's just a more lengthy version of my original response.  Thanks again for asking.

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Well, all of us three seem to agree that we would appreciate a dedicated project assembly targeting 4.0 and its exclusive new features.