Several questions

Developer
Sep 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Hi,

I'm intersted in extension methods like this team. I have similar library with extension methods (some methods are both in mine and your project).

I looked to source code of this project and I have several questions (please don't take them as critics):

* Why are there only 3 projects? For example the "DataRowExtensions" is in same project as "BitmapExtensions". If someone want use some extension methods and don't use some assembly (System.Data or System.Drawing, etc...), they must extract the methods from the original project and create they own branch.

* Why are not used namespaces in the projects?

* Are somewhere available test projects of the extension methods?

* Are you intersted in new contributors and new areas of extension methods such as winforms, threading, etc...?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:46 AM

* Why are there only 3 projects? For example the "DataRowExtensions" is in same project as "BitmapExtensions". If someone want use some extension methods and don't use some assembly (System.Data or System.Drawing, etc...), they must extract the methods from the original project and create they own branch.

It's a decision based on our own use. Most developers decide by application type (eg. Class Library, Windows Forms, WPF, ASP.NET, ...). Those methods that are dedicated to a specific type of application got a separate project. The other "core" is placed in the core assembly. For me it does not make much sense to have a bulk of assemblies just to prevent a FCL core assembly to be referenced which is anyway available on every single box (eg. System.Data, System.Xml, ...).

* Why are not used namespaces in the projects?

To allow developers to just reference the assemblies and to use the extensions without the need to additionally import any namespaces.

* Are somewhere available test projects of the extension methods?

No, but as mentioned on the site, I'm interested to add them.

* Are you intersted in new contributors and new areas of extension methods such as winforms, threading, etc...?

Yes. I very interested to see the library growing, so feel free to add yourself to the project team and to contribute additional methods and / or tests.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM

If you'd like to add new methods to Patrick's library, I recommend you get the package that I provided with hundreds of methods, and start incorporating those into the proper places in Patrick's library.

• Methods need to be moved into appropriate projects
  • Namespaces need to be removed
  • Methods need to be tested
  • Comments for <remarks> and <example> need to be added
  • Proper attribution to the original authors should be ensured

I already started this process with just a couple of the methods. I've created a separate little code set and improved method comments as I've learned how some of the functions work.  I realized that some of the methods need tweaks - hey, I got the stuff off the internet, we get what we pay for, and if it doesn't work we're free to fix it.

Get the current version of the NebulaRnD.Extensions here. See the README file in that package. The idea is for people to get methods from there, document and test them, and then submit the completed methods and tests to DNPExtensions here for inclusion in this project. Then I can create a new directory in the Nebula project that has methods that have been bundled into DNPExtensions, and eventually that collection can go away.  A couple methods have already been documented and tested in that project. Patrick - please check them and pull them into your project, then just let me know what you pull in.

If you don't want to make changes to any code, you just want free stuff, well, that's another package for you to grab. Have fun.